Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Saturday denim...


Denim Pants Suit ~ Sag Harbor
Goodwill ~ Richmond, VA ($15.00)

Red Shirt ~ Copper Key
(Not sure where or how much)   


Sandals ~ Dexter
New at Salvation Army ~ $2.99

Lovin' the Paisley detail...


Challenging our deer population to return to the potted plants for the rest of their lunch!!!

I don't always get this "dressed up" on Saturdays but recently I did.  Spent time with my "blog photographer" daughter as we followed a map to some garage sales.  Found jeans for my husband and a few cool things for grandchildren. 

What I especially like about this denim outfit is that it's Smartly Casual - it can be worn when "dressing up" to be with family and friends, to run errands or when "dressing down" to tackle light household duties or relax with a book on the deck.

When I bought this outfit, I had no idea that the red in the design detail would be a challenge to match.  I thought the color was a common shade of rusty red.  It is rusty red but it's not common. 

And that leads me to today's HELPFUL HINT for Thrift shopping:
  • Purchase a "Good Deal" when you find it even if it doesn't include everything you'll need in order for it to be worn as a complete outfit. 
Searching for everything to complete an ensemble may not be possible on any given shopping trip to a thrift store, garage sale or resale consignment shop.  But be assured, you will find the complementary elements in time - often already at home in your closet or in a drawer.  And that is so much fun!!! 

So I finally found the uncommon color top to wear with this denim outfit and the collar even fits the jacket perfectly.

Who wants to be common anyway?  Isn't it so much more interesting to be the one who stands abit apart from the ordinary - the one who isn't afraid to take some risks and make a difference.  I especially like to make an uncommon difference where orphans are concerned.  I have been going to the country of Moldova for 5 years to give love and God's truth to orphans.  I'm reminded now of the Biblical character named Esther.  She was orphaned as a child because of the death of both parents.  A cousin adopted her.  She would eventually become the queen of Persia.  Her people, the Jews, would be threatened and she stood in a position to speak on their behalf.  Her adopted father said to her:
  • Esther 4: 14  "For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father's family will perish.  And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?"
  • Esther's response in Esther 4:16  "...I will go to the king, even though it is against the law.  And if I perish, I perish."
The outcome of Esther's courageous decision is told in the book of Esther in the Bible ~ an orphan committed to God who chose to act selflessly.  The amazing result flows from one woman's decision to do the uncommon, different thing with her life.  That's a model for me to emulate.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment